Our Eco Commitment
Since Tree Gifts began, we have helped kiwi's plant over 96,000 trees and plants! We are whole heatedly committed to providing a green and sustainable gift option and are continually working on our sustainable efforts. Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- Our custom made wooden gift boxes are made from sustainable recycled pine, our boxes are reusable around the home or office.
We encourage our clients to reuse and re-purpose in order to save the energy that would come from items entering the recycling process (where energy is used to dismantle and re-manufacture products). Re-purposing reduces waste and pollution and should always be the first in our sustainable efforts "Reuse. Re-purpose. Recycle".
- We use 100% biodegradable natural Hessian fabric and biodegradable cellophane in the wrapping of our tree root cells and larger planter tree gifts. Cellophane is not plastic, rather a plant material derived from cellulose. It can be added to the compost where it will be safely broken down over a 3 month period.
- Printed material is on recycled paper or card.
- Our wood wool packaging is made from untreated pine. Reusable in the garden around plants to keep the bugs away.
- We re-use packaging from our suppliers where possible to send our larger corporate orders and encourage our customers to do the same.
- Products such as hand creams and body lotions that are packaged in plastic bottles are all recyclable under classification <1> and of course are more importantly, able to be reused around the home for other purposes.
Did you know...
- Trees are the longest living organisms on the planet, and one of earth's greatest natural resources. Not only do trees keep our air supply clean, but they are great for; reducing noise, improving water quality, helping to prevent erosion, providing food for families and creating shade / shelter.
- On average one person uses 2 pine trees' worth of paper products each year.
- One tree can absorb as much carbon in a year as a car produces whilst driving 41,890 km. That means you could drive from Cape Reinga to the Bluff here in NZ that's from one end to the other... AND BACK ... 10 times!
- New Zealand's oldest tree is the magnificent Kauri Tane Mahuta in the Waipoua Forest. Whilst it's age is unknown, it is estimated to be between 1,250 and 2,500 years old. Wow!
Please note: These figures have been collected from various sources and have not been independently verified by Tree Gifts NZ, we offer them for your own additional research but trust you find them interesting.